Two years ago exactly, I was sitting by the Eiffel tower when my now-husband went down on one knee and asked me to be his wife. It was by far the most magical night of my life because never in a million years did I think the night I get engaged would be filled with such romance and pure love. Immediately after I announced the wonderful news to family and friends, I was hit with tons of wedding questions.
- “Do you have a date set?”
- “What dress do you think you’ll wear?”
- “I better be your bridesmaid!”
- “Band? DJ?”
- “Whats your color scheme?”
- “Do you have a wedding planner?”
The questions above are just a few of the overwhelming amount I received. Although I know people ask these questions with nothing but good intentions, it was still a lot to handle and it contributed to a bit of wedding planning anxiety. Thankfully my husband is very good at calming my nerves and making my stress, that I think is too large for me to handle, disappear into thin air.
With a 16-month long engagement it gave us enough time to plan the wedding we envisioned – a special day for us to celebrate the sacrament of marriage with our closest family and friends.
We celebrated our wedding day on Saturday, March 11th, 2017 in Washington D.C. Our ceremony was held at St. Matthews Cathedral and our reception took place at the The Mayflower Hotel. We enjoyed every minute of the day and will never forget the moment we officially became husband and wife.
It couldn’t be more accurate when people say your wedding day will be over with a blink of an eye. I am sad the day is over, but relieved the planning and preparation is behind us. We can now enjoy looking at our photos and watch our wedding video for years to come. Now, if you are reading this and you are planning a wedding of your own, the best advice I can give you is:
- Enjoy every moment – It does go by fast and if you focus on the drama (yes! there will be a little drama) then you will regret it down the line.
- You (and your fiancé) call the shots – Don’t let opinions from others discourage you from planning the day of your dreams. This is your one special day that will only be about you and your hubby-to-be.
- Always smile and be graceful – Enjoy your day and really try to stay calm. The only thing that should matter to you is seeing your husband when you walk down the aisle, while you exchange emotions of happiness and love. P.S. No one loves a bridezilla.
- Be Practical! – Yes this is your special day but if it sounds too extreme or too expensive, then maybe its something to think twice about. The most expensive thing at your wedding should be your vows. They are after all the most valuable item as the two of you become one.
- Dance your little tail feather – Let loose and party hard girl! You deserve it! Rock those dance moves on the dance floor in your most beautiful gown.
- Wedding Band: Big Ray and the Kool Kats
- Hotel and Reception Venue: The Mayflower Hotel
- Flowers: Bergeron Florist
- Photographer: Mike Topham Photography
- Videographer: Ginger Topham
- Makeup & Hair: Style Me Bar
- Dress: Elegance by Roya
- Photo Booth: Tip Top Photo Booth
- Cake: Fluffy Thoughts
- Church and Ceremony: St. Matthews Cathedral